Re: [docbook-apps] fop problems

David N. Welton writes:

[...]

So far so good.

fop -fo rivet.fo -pdf rivet.pdf &> oputfile

This seems to generate a lot of errors, characterized by lines such as:

The whole bunch of errors produced by fop is something you can get accustomed to. I found most of them don't really hurt.

In my PDF files, I've found all of those you have quoted, and I don't
bother since apparently the stylesheets contain enough workarounds
to make fop create acceptable results.

[INFO] area contents overflows area in line

This, however, is a hint.... (see below)

The resulting PDF file doesn't seem to include parts of my text, bits
of XML such as:

        <varlistentry>
          <term>
        <cmdsynopsis>
          <arg>BeforeScript</arg>
          <arg><replaceable>script</replaceable></arg>
        </cmdsynopsis>
          </term>
          <listitem>
        <para>
[... snipped ...]

Where the cmdsynopsis is more or less not there or 'messed up' (see
the PDF).

A variablelist in docbook takes a 'termlength' attribute, and if you are using fop, it is advisable to supply a "good" value here. I guess that the [INFO] above tries to tell you that fop couldn't fit your term into its place. IIRC this is a "known" fop issue.

--
HTH,
haj