Re: [docbook-apps] Tools for DocBook authoring by non-hackers

At 09:35 14/01/2004, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:

Is anyone using any of the higher-end products like Arbortext's Epic
Editor?  From a quick browse of the data sheet at arbortext.com, this
looks suitably configurable.  (Can I do something like this
http://www.arbortext.com/html/ee_close-up.html#Figure5 with XXE?)  Can
a tool like Epic interface with an XSLT processor and a FO renderer?
Is anyone authoring DocBook this way?  (i.e. I want to use the
standard XSL stylesheets, not to mention the customisations I've
already made.)

Arbortext has its own fo engine. Top dollar, but appears you get what you pay for. The only editor that met all our criteria.

In another emai you said:
 It's the spiritual conversion
 that worries me.  I'm beginning to suspect that the requirement that
 authoring be performed by general office-type staff is going to be
 unachievable.  These are not technical people who will pick up on the
 ideas as they go---it's a government department, and essentially a
 Microsoft shop.

If I were you this is where I'd put the effort.
Its the hardest hurdle. Treat it like any other change management
issue.
  Good tools will help.
  Training will help even more.
   Champions in the department will help the most.

HTH DaveP