Re: [docbook-apps] Non-graphic callouts

This is a bug in FOP, as it works in XEP.
In the FO output, the non-graphical callouts are rendered as
a number within a fo:inline that has its background color
set to dark grey.  The text is set to white, similar to the
graphical callout bugs.  But in FOP, the background-color
does not get rendered within the fo:inline, and so the white
text is not visible on a white background.

If you want to work around this for fop, you'll have to customize the
template named "callout-bug" in fo/callouts.xsl. At the
end of that template is the set of properties:

    <!-- Most safe: draw a dark gray square with a white number inside -->
    <xsl:otherwise>
      <fo:inline background-color="#404040"
                 color="white"
                 padding-top="0.1em"
                 padding-bottom="0.1em"
                 padding-start="0.2em"
                 padding-end="0.2em"
                 baseline-shift="0.1em"
                 font-family="{$body.fontset}"
                 font-weight="bold"
                 font-size="75%">
        <xsl:value-of select="$conum"/>
      </fo:inline>
    </xsl:otherwise>

Change the color to something other than white and
the numbers should be visible.  You could also add
parens or brackets using xsl:text if you want that.

These should properly be in an attribute-set so the properties
can be more easily customized.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net