Re: [docbook-apps] still trying to get a "nested" indent

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 01:18:13PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i'm still having trouble specifying that i want to indent my
> monospace verbatim environments by a certain distance, and have
> that indent carry over into other elements.
>
>   just now, i wanted to put a short <screen> section into a
> tip admonition and, as with lists, i got
>

>  [i]   Tip
>
>        blah blah blah .. contents of tip ...
>        ... more contents ...
>
>     $ cat /etc/passwd
>
>   IOW, the <screen> was indented, but only with respect to the very
> left of the page, not with respect to its position within the <tip>.
>
>   my stylesheet fragment:
>
> <xsl:attribute-set name="monospace.verbatim.properties">
>  <xsl:attribute name="start-indent">0.25in</xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:attribute-set>
>

>   if i take this fragment out entirely, then the indent is lost,
> of course, but it *does* take into account any containing element.
>
>   what is the indentation customization i should be using?  confused.

start-indent is supposed to be measured relative to
the reference area, which is the page most of the time.
That's why you get no relative indent.
The margin-left property should be a left margin relative
to the containing block.

When I replace start-indent with margin-left, I get a
relative indent when I process the FO with XEP.
But with FOP, I get the same absolute indent.  I think
FOP gets it wrong.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com