Re: [docbook-apps] Entities references vs. XRef as a way to manage changingglossary

> The new olink can work for your purposes.  If a target
> datafile has a matching entry (targetdoc and targetptr)
> for an olink, and the @href attribute on the entry exists
> but is empty, then you will get the olink text with no
> hot link.

Bob,

I just tried it, and discovered it's just a little bit
different from how you described it. It seems as long as I do
not specify the @baseuri attribute in the target database
document's <document> element, then I get olink text
substitution without the hot link (<a href>). The @href
attribute does not seem to affect the hot link production.

My target database document now like this:

  <!DOCTYPE targetset
         SYSTEM
"c:/cygwin/usr/share/docbook-xsl/common/targetdatabase.dtd" [
  <!ENTITY mytargets SYSTEM "mytarget.db">
  ]>
  <targetset>
    <targetsetinfo>
      Description of my target target database document.
    </targetsetinfo>
    <sitemap>
      <dir name="documentation">
        <document targetdoc="glossary"> <!-- * Notice I don't have baseuri
attribute here -->
            &mytargets;
        </document>
      </dir>
    </sitemap>
  </targetset>

The same goes for the use of your olink2ulink.xsl. If I don't
specify the @baseuri attribute, it just substitutes the olink
text without making it a host link.

I next tried removing some elements and attributes from my target
data file. What's

  xsltproc --stringparam collect.xref.targets "only" docbook.xsl test.xml

is like this:

    <ttl>Dessert</ttl>

But my data file now looks like:

    <xreftext>tiramisu</xreftext>

This is simple enough to generate with a script, and easy
enough to edit with a text editor, even if I have several thousand
entries. None of the said tools seem to complain about
the stuff I did away with.

In my document, all I need to make a reference is:

  <olink targetdoc="glossary" targetptr="dessert"/>

I just hope that I won't find it a requirement to import the
text parameterization into FrameMaker. If I do, then customizing
the stylesheet for <xref> might make more sense. At least,
I understand the options better now. That said, if there's a
better way to maintain text parameterization, I'd still like
to know.

Thanks again, Bob.

Taro