[docbook-apps] Re: Using Language code in HTMLHelp

Jens Stavnstrup wrote:

I am sorry to say this, but I am not sure this was such a good idea.
Now you have introduced a system specific (HTMLHelp) value, in the
otherwise system neutral gentext files (I prefered your windows
specific language.xml file located in the htmlhelp directory).

Role of gentext is to supply language dependant information to XSL and DSSSL stylesheets. HTML Help language code is one type of a such information. HTML Help is now integral part of XSL stylesheets (it wasn't at it's beginnings) so there is no reason to use different mechanism similar to gentext.

In TDG, norm describes the lang attribute as a language code (perhaps extended with the countrycode). It was that interpretation I was interested in:

So you would be able to say "en_UK", and not just "en", which now will
by default be US.

Sure. Stylesheets can handle this. If there is need, there could be en_uk.xml and en_us.xml files different for US and British English. But I don't think that there are differences in localization texts for these two variants of English. I'm also not aware of any differneces in HTML Help processing for different variants of English.

If you still want to override some settings for country based sublanguage, you can put this into your customization file:

<i18n xmlns="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/xmlns/l10n/1.0";>
  <l10n language="en_uk">
    <context name="htmlhelp">
      <template name="langcode" text="0x0809 English (UNITED KINGDOM)"/>
    </context>
  </l10n>
</i18n>

I think that new mechanism is better because it allows you to override langcode without need to modify base stylesheets.

Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz