Re: [docbook-apps] Tool for Word->DocBook conversion (UpCast?)

Patrick Eisenacher wrote:

I expect that MS is going to use some proprietary XML schema. Since it's

It can be compared to RTF expressed in XML. Nothing perfect, but at least it can XSLTed to some better format.

XML, this would allow an XSL transformation to Docbook, I guess. But you won't get a MS Word that reads/writes Docbook out of the box. Perhaps someone will write a smart plugin to do so...

In Word 2003 you can mix "old style" editing pure visual mode with schema driven XML editing. If you will stick with XML schema driven mode you can get any sort of XML vocabulary for which you have schema from Word. But it needs that you are using Word as XML editor and you are selecting right elements from context sensitive list.

Word can also apply XSLT transformation on created XML before saving. It looks promising at the first glance, but there are some problems which I hadn't solved yet. It seems that Word supports only schemas with defined target namespace. This probably could be solved by XSLT transformation on load/save which will add/remove namespaces from DocBook document (note that there is not namespace for DocBook). Second problems is, that Word is very poor on styling newly created XML content. Lets hope that MS will improve this before final version.

But even Word 2003 with XML support is far from effectivity of XML input present in tools like Epic or XMetaL.

Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka at kosek dot cz
  http://www.kosek.cz