Re: 'additional' HTML

Michael Wiedmann wrote:
* Bob Stayton <bobs@caldera.com> [030214 09:30]:
"a navigation banner at a fixed position in the browser"
means you need to use an HTML Frameset. And a list of
sections would generally mean a table of contents, right?
<snip/>
See e.g. http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/menus.html
(they call it 'pinned-down menu'). This is done using HTML code
like the one I posted earlier today and the CSS code you can see
at the above URL. This will generate what I called 'a navigation
banner at a fixe position'. This is of course a kind of TOC but has nothing to do with a frameset.
A table of contents is default output by the xsl stylesheets.

You can start by experimenting with creating a display: fixed; rule in your CSS that targets the div.toc block; in theory, you can position the table of contents where you please within the viewport. I've only ever had success with this technique on Mozilla and Netscape 7, however; you sound like you might know that already. In other browsers, at best, it will be treated as absolute(ly) positioned and scroll with the page content.

If that first cut doesn't do what you want, you might try fiddling with the display properties of the definition list elements in which the TOC is embedded by the xsl stylesheets.

If that doesn't work for you, I suspect you may be in for some major customizing and I'm not competent to advise.

Regards. ...edN