From: Joachim Ziegler [mailto:ziegler@mpi-sb.mpg.de]
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 5:04 AM
To: Bob Stayton
Cc: Joachim Ziegler; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: Breaking a document into smaller pieces

Bob Stayton wrote:
> You need to use olinks in a modular document only if you
> want to be able to validate each module.  If you don't use
> olink, then when you try to validate a module by itself,
> any xref or link pointing to another module will be reported
> as missing the ID.
>
> But if you only care about validating the whole document,
> then you don't need to use olinks.  In that case, either
> XInclude or entities work about the same.

Since this is the first big document I'm writing with DocBook, what
advide would you give me: To forget xrefs altogether and use olinks from
the beginning?

The document will become large (a book) and eventually there will be a
point where it will take too long to transform the whole document into
HTML just to have a quick look at what I've just written.

Isn't there a way, like in Latex, to ignore for a certain moment the
broken links and to just output some "???" ?

Greetings,
Joachim