Re: Breaking a document into smaller pieces

Bob Stayton wrote:
You need to use olinks in a modular document only if you
want to be able to validate each module. If you don't use
olink, then when you try to validate a module by itself,
any xref or link pointing to another module will be reported
as missing the ID.

But if you only care about validating the whole document,
then you don't need to use olinks. In that case, either
XInclude or entities work about the same.
Since this is the first big document I'm writing with DocBook, what advide would you give me: To forget xrefs altogether and use olinks from the beginning?

The document will become large (a book) and eventually there will be a point where it will take too long to transform the whole document into HTML just to have a quick look at what I've just written.

Isn't there a way, like in Latex, to ignore for a certain moment the broken links and to just output some "???" ?

Greetings,
Joachim