Re: Docbook xsl stylesheets and accessibilityrequirements?

ed nixon wrote:

And then there are TABLEs for the purposes of layout. I don't think there is anything in the stylesheets that requires table use.

Not much, other than tables :)

The only parameter controlled table layout feature that comes off the top of my head is variablelist/definitionlist, I think.

I know of no DocBook element named definitionlist. Some types of lists are best translated to (X)HTML dl, others to ul or ol.

Adam DiCarlo wrote:

> Since tidy complains at me when I use TT output, I've made some hacks
> in the DSSSL stylesheets (not yet committed) to produce HTML output
> using KBD, VAR, CODE, and SAMP rather than TT whenever it seems
> possible to determine which element we want.
>
> These elements have been in HTML since 3.2 if not much earlier. Is
> there any reason why this shouldn't be default behavior?

I agree that it should.

I share the requirements of both of you. To get the XHTML I want and need, I wrote my own XSLTs [1], and I'm very happy with the results (and I'm still working on them, planning a rewrite). The stuff you two mention already is implemented.

But although my XSLTs work well for my DocBook documents, they would not (yet) work well for other/all DocBook documents.
Norm's XSLT's need to handle any kind of valid DocBook doc, so stuff like validity is quite hard to do. Other stuff might be simpler to implement (some of which you list).

Tobi

[1]
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/vimxml/about.xml#sources
perhaps