Re: One or multiple catalogs for xsltproc? (Was: XMLcatalog documentation)

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 10:38:47PM +0100, Steinar Bang wrote:

> > I've rewritten my chapter on using XML catalogs with
> > DocBook XSL so that it is more complete and accurate.  It
> > is available at
>
> > http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/Catalogs.html
>
> There's a mistmatch between the above document, and the libxml2 home
> pages.
>
> The above doucment states:
>  "Although the name XML_CATALOG_FILES implies multiple names, in fact
>   only the first is currently used by xsltproc."
> 	<URL:http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/Catalogs.html#d0e1941 >
>
> The libxml2 home pages states:
>  "The user can change the default catalog behaviour by redirecting
>   queries to its own set of catalogs, this can be done by setting the
>   XML_CATALOG_FILES environment variable to a list of catalogs, an
>   empty one should deactivate loading the default /etc/xml/catalog
>   default catalog"
> 	<URL:http://xmlsoft.org/catalog.html#reference >
>
> Which one is right?  Can there be multiple catalog files?  Or Can
> There be Only One?

I just tried it with xsltproc from libxml 2.4.30 and libxslt
1.0.23, and it seems to support multiple catalogs now.
It used to be true that only one catalog file was supported.
Apparently this has been fixed in xsltproc, so you can use
multiple catalog files.  I don't know
what version it started working in.
There is no mention in the ChangeLog that I can see.

You must separate catalog files with
spaces in the environment variable.  Neither colon nor
semicolon worked as a separator for me.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com