Re: Re: Using inline.monoseq in FO

Since Courier, and other commonly used monospaced fonts, is "fatter" than
the mostly used (Times, Helvetica) proportional fonts, the 0.9 factor is
used to make the fonts appear in similar size. However, if you changed the
default font families, you should review this factor, because it may
produce the opposite effect.

Note that "em" in the font-size attribute does not mean the same as in
other contexts, it is defined as an equivalent of percentage. This is
because the actual em size varies with the font-family: fonts with the same
apparent height may (and usually have) different absolute values for the
"em". The FO spec bypasses this detail by stating that 0.9em means (for
font-sizes, not everywhere) the same as 90%.

The FO spec is clear that in the font-size attribute % and em values are
calculated relative to the inherited font-size, but this is also a bit
confusing. In margin properties, for example, em values are absolute length
values, because they refer to the current (not the inherited) font-size.
The writer must remember that the font-size property is calculated first by
the processor, and other em values in other attributes refer to the new
font size, while the em value in the font-size attribute is a percentage
that refers to the inherited font-size.
You see, the spec is clear, but induces error, so I prefer to always use %
in font-size attributes, and em in the others, to ensure clarity for the
human reader.

Marcelo Jaccoud Amaral
Petrobrás (http://www.petrobras.com.br)
mailto:jaccoud@petrobras.com.br
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary
and those who don't.

                      Norman Walsh
                      <ndw@nwalsh.com>         Para:     Martin Perina <martin.perina@osu.cz>
                                               cc:       docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
                      28/01/2003 13:06         Assunto:  DOCBOOK-APPS: Re: Using inline.monoseq in FO

/ Martin Perina <martin.perina@osu.cz> was heard to say:
| But there is a problem: inline.monoseq uses
| attribute set "monospace.properties", but
| it has set font-size attribute to 0.9em. That's
| not problem for <para>, but it's great problem
| for <title> in chapters or sections, for example:

Why is it a great problem? The result should be 90% of the paragraph
size in the first case and 90% of the title size in the second.