Re: Is it time to rely on CSS?

At 1:21 PM -0500 1/20/03, Norman Walsh wrote:

Is it time to move that line farther out, removing things that could
be done with CSS and just expecting CSS to be used?

I vote no. Writing in DocBook and generating HTML gives me all the separation of style from content I need. For my HTML I want backward compatibility. I want it to work with Mozilla 1.0 to the extent possible. OK, that's a little extreme. In practice I'm willing to accept Netscape 1.1. But I certainly don't want to depend on CSS for anything important. I still see people using Netscape 2, Netscape 3, IE 3, and similarly old software. Hell, a month ago I fired up MacWeb 1.0a3 for a few hours. (Remember that?) Given that both Netscape and IE's CSS support was severely lacking until at least version 6 of each browser, I can't see relying on it. I won't even say that it's good enough in version 6. I just know that Netscape 4 and IE 5 were unacceptable in my most recent batch of tests a year or two ago.

| Processing XML with Java (Addison-Wesley, 2002) |
| http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/xmljava |
| http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0201771861/cafeaulaitA |
| Read Cafe au Lait for Java News: http://www.cafeaulait.org/ |
| Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://www.cafeconleche.org/ |