RE: comments on "Using the DocBook XSL Stylesheets"

Being a dochead, I'm all for for stable and proven ways of refering to
long-lived shared resources. But I'm also involved in data munging, which
calls for managing short-lived schemas and documents. Also, one of the
original goals of SGML Open Catalogs, providing a package format for
interchange of documents, is getting very pertinent.

The real issue for me is not exactly where RPM et.al. packages should drop
DocBook schema and stylesheets.

IMHO, pony-tailed XML dataheads might benefit from >15 years experience with
document interchange and processing in the SGML world. I.e., entity
resolution must be able to work with a per-process local configuration which
may override or replace a global configuration, and you may need to be able
to refer to documents and schema that was created five or ten years ago.

And gray-bearded (sory, ladies) SGML docheads should try to accept that XML
is about the internet, that URIs are appropriate public identifiers, and
that some documents and schema have a lifetime of milliseconds.

Kind regards,
Peter Ring