Parts and Numbering

Hi list,
I have a large document with three parts. These contain chapters, which
contain sections.

The numbering for the chapters, figures, tables, etc. Start at 1 for
each part.

When I reference (xref) a table, I get a textual representation (see
Table 1.4). In the PDF, this is linked with the corresponding table. In
printed form, however, the reader has no way to know in which part this
table can be found. This is not acceptable for me.

The question is: Is there an easy way to make the numbering increase
over the parts?

XSL version of the style, using FOP

Stephan