Re: imagedata format="linespecific"

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 03:30:43PM -0500, Jeff Beal wrote:
> I have been testing the <imagedata/> tag with format="linespecific" for
> inserting text files into my docs.  I am using Saxon + XSL 1.57.0 and
> properly including the extension function on my CLASSPATH.  The text is
> properly inserted into the FO and HTML, but it is not inside a line-specific
> environment, so the white space is not preserved when rendered.  Is this a
> bug in the stylesheets, or the intentional rendering?

It's not a bug.  But the term 'linespecific' in this case
is a red herring.  The use of imagedata like this was a
kludge that simply hacked an available attribute to make the
trick work.  The text inclusion mechanism itself doesn't
preserve white space in the output.  You have to wrap it
in a programlisting or literallayout to indicate
presentation.

If you are using DTD version 4.2, you can use textobject
instead, and it doesn't mention linespecific.
But you still have to put it in a container.

See:

http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/SolveProblems.html#ExternalCode

for more information on both ways of doing it.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com