RE: How to use appendixes

>> In short, the <appendix/> tag should be used for things other
>> than indices, glossaries, bibliographies, etc. If you markup
>> a glossary inside an appendix, it its the glossary for the
>> appendix, not for the larger document.
>
>Well, if I open any nonfiction book from my board, I find exactly those
>things marked as appendix.

If you look in DTG, the glossary and index are listed after the appendices, but this is a stylesheet issue. You could customize your stylesheet to list them as appendices. From the markup side, however,
<book>
<chapter/>
<chapter/>
<appendix/>
<glossary/>
</book>

has two chapters and an appendix. The glossary and index are for the whole book.

<book>
<chapter/>
<chapter/>
<appendix>
 <glossary/>
</appendix>
</book>

With this markup, the glossary and index are specific to the appendix, which has its own content. That is why you are finding that you need a <para></para> in your appendix. Otherwise the appendix has no content.

--
Kevin M. Dunn
Professor of Chemistry