How to use appendixes

Hi list,
I want to use appendixes, but somehow it seems I got something wrong.
Here is an example:

<para></para>
</appendix>

I have to define the title to get something more than just the letter
"A" displayed in the TOC. The <index> automatically creates a title
"index", though, and this doesn't look very nice in the index section:

MyIndex
XML fdkjfhdsjk
XSL fhskdj

The same applies for bibliography and glossary. Why do I have to enter
the empty para (or one of a list of other elements) into the appendix?
This creates exactly what I want in the output, but the XML code looks
awfull, with all those empty elements :-(

<para></para>
<bibliography>
<title></title>