Re: Chunking performance (Norm saved 30%)

Jirka Kosek wrote:

> I tried it on quite small document (about 160 pages in print) with about
> 20 chunks. Performance improvement was marginal (say less then 5 %). Now
> I started test it on PHP documentation which creates about 2000 chunks.
> We will see if something happen...

On quite big document (7 MB of source XML document, more then 3000
chunks of HTML output) difference is quite significant. Fast chunking
was done in 193 minutes instead of 265 minutes required by "old"
chunking code. This is almost 30% performance increase. Thanks Norm!
Memory overhead wasn't so big as in a Jeff's case. Normal code needed
~90 MB and fast ~130 MB of RAM using Saxon 6.5.2 on JDK 1.3.1 under W2K.

May be this could be even better if you store in your div hierarchy also
filenames of chunks and their titles. This information is computed at
least three times repeatedly. Implementation of this will require more
complex changes to stylesheets so some performance profiling probably
should be done before implementation.

					Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz