Re: Manually Chunking with PIs

Am Dienstag, 3. September 2002 18:57 schrieb Bob Stayton:
> On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 04:18:18PM +0200, Janning Vygen wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't it be nice to have a processing instruction like
> > <?dbhmtl chunk=0?> or <?dbhmtl chunk=1?>
> > to place inside you xml and let maketoc.xsl generate a toc file
> > respecting xsl parameters like chunk.section.depth and those
> > PIs??
>
> This is indeed an interesting suggestion.  You should
> file a Feature Request on the docbook SourceForge site.

i will try to implement it today. I guess its not very difficult to
do but maybe i am wrong.

> > 2. Is there a doc about dbhtml attributes. I found "filename" and
> > "dir". Are there more dbhtml attributes which can be used?
>
> So far I've only documented the ones for variablelist
> (http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/HtmlOutput.html#VarListForm
>atting)

This doc is very useful!!! But i never found links to it on other
pages. Some parts are not written yet but i am looking forward to.

> There are also some dbfo processing instructions for FO
> output.
>
> > 3. Directories cant be created by the XSLT Processor. Does
> > anybody has written a stylesheet converting toc file to a shell
> > script which creates all needed directories?
>
> Do you mean it reads the 'dir' processing instructions
> and generates a script to create them all?
> I don't know of such a stylesheet, but
> it sounds like a simple job.

Yes it is a simple job, but yesterday daniel told me that its a
security hazard if its integrated into a web server. Of course it is
right. But i want to use it just for "Making" the HTML pages and just
upload those html files. So i will try to write it today, too.

I guess your "Makefiles" section in the document mentioned above
should be much longer. For Example: I have an ./xml directory where
all my files reside which form the XML Document and the stylesheet
puts them into another directory called ./htdocs . But i still need
to copy all the refernced images into htdocs at the proper place.

The whole images and filref attribute stuff gives me lots of headache:

How do i know if all imagefiles are correctly referenced. I know its
not a question of document validation (like ID within linkend) as
long as you dont use external entities which i do not prefer. But how
can i check it easily? When i parse my docbook XML Document and i
dont know from which directory my modular files belong (i am using
XInclude to join small files together)? So i have to grep each
document for fileref and look into the filesystem if its there????
Or i have to xsltproc each XML file for its own to know in which
directory it is.

I am wondering how FO->PassiveTex is doing it. If i convert my
modular docbook document to fo, all the relative image references are
wrong i guess. I will take a look at this... (but i cant get
passivetex to work, always cryptic errors :-(

So at least i would like to see how experts are writing there docbook
documents. How do they structure the directories for large documents.
Where do they put images. Do they use relative or absolute path in
filref attribute. what does their makefiles look like. Just a real
and difficult to understand real-world-example. (i hate those easy to
understand examples like CD and Employee Databases in every SQL book)

kind regards,
janning

--
Planwerk 6 /websolutions