Re: SGML vs XML

At 03:07 PM 30/07/2002 -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:

> I believe it is still the case that there is no element/attribute
> solution to the general profiling scenario that works in all cases
> that marked sections work.  Am I wrong?

No, you are right.  Marked sections are much more
powerful because they operate at a 'higher' level
than elements.  You can have duplicate elements and ID
attributes, and marked sections can also cross element
boundaries, as long as the thing validates in the end.

Are you going to lobby to put marked sections back
in XML?  8^)

Well, why not put them back? I gather from Norm's comments that this is not considered to be a feasible solution. Why is this so?

I'd dearly like to have conditional sections in DocBook XML. I was planning to migrate from SGML to XML shortly after DocBook 5.0 was finalised, but I now expect that I'll be sticking with SGML for quite a while yet.

Regards,

Andrew Westcombe
Documentation Manager
Gaming and Entertainment Technology (GET)
www.getsystems.com

ph. +61-2-9419-2000
email: asw@getsystems.com

Even if a civil society were to dissolve itself by the vote of all its members... nevertheless, before they go, the last murderer in prison must be executed.
Immanuel Kant
--Die Metaphysik der Sitten