Re: speedy XSLT processor for win

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 01:29:58PM +0200, Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Working with the PHP Manual and XSL sheets as the manual grows to an
> extreme size, there is a need for the speediest XSLT processor on
> windows to process DocBook documents. Currently I use saxon with the
> SUN JDK, and also tried SUN with MS JVM and xsltproc. All of these
> operate on the same speed (approx. one hour to generate HTML for the
> whole manual). This is not a really cool state, as deep testing on
> Windows is not doable that way. XSLTproc is said to be much faster on
> Linux then Saxon, but I cannot measure any significant differences on
> Windows.

I'll bet you are chunking out a lot of files.  If so, then
you are probably I/O bound.  I get similar results on
Windows XP when chunking a big book, but xsltproc is about
2.5 times faster when I use the non-chunking stylesheet on
the same book.  That suggests it is the opening, writing,
and closing of files that is equalizing the two.

On my Linux box with a slower CPU speed, the speed ratio is
about 5 times, whether I'm chunking or not.  I think in
that case the filesystem is staying sufficiently ahead of
the processor to show the diffence between the
two processing engines.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com