title page issues

I would like to generate a Front page (title recto) that would look like that:
(ugly but internal standard)
|                            Title                                    |
I have 2 issues
1) once i generate a customised title page with titlepage.xsl, i have to patch it by hand the <xsl:template name="book.titlepage.recto"> section (see further),
to insert the code for  the 2 tables . this is not nice , as i cannot re-generate the page from the template anymore (or i loose my modification)
are there any "fix" for that ? I was thinking to have some xml fragment included before and after the currently generated code? or some special tag in the template , to insert code before and after the elements ?
2) currently, the corpauthor template I try to insert in the upper left is not working, and still It is the same that the one a bit further on. what am i missing ?
3) nothing related, but currently im using fop to do both steps (xml->fo->pdf). would it be any advantage to use saxon in the first pass ? (speed ? features ?) seems to be a usual configuration around .. ?
thanks for your help.
Luc
( using fop 20.3, stylesheet 1.50 , xalan from fop)

<xsl:template name="book.titlepage.recto">
  <!-- added -->
  <fo:block>
   <fo:table border-width="0.1pt" border-style="solid">
      <fo:table-column column-width="50mm"/>
      <fo:table-column column-width="50mm"/>
       <fo:table-column column-width="50mm"/>
      <fo:table-body>
        <fo:table-row >
        <fo:table-cell   border-width="0.1pt" border-style="solid">
         <fo:block>
          ORIGINATOR :
           <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="bookinfo/corpauthor"/> <!-- this is broken . why ? -->
              </fo:block>
           </fo:table-cell  >
  <fo:table-cell   border-width="0.1pt" border-style="solid">
         <fo:block>
        Issue Date
         </fo:block>
        </fo:table-cell  >
          <fo:table-cell   border-width="0.1pt" border-style="solid">
         <fo:block>
        Version :
         </fo:block>
        </fo:table-cell  >
</fo:table-row >
</fo:table-body>
</fo:table>
 <fo:table border-width="0.1pt" border-style="solid">
  <fo:table-column column-width="150mm"/>
 <fo:table-body>
<fo:table-row >
        <fo:table-cell  >
          <!-- end added -->
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="bookinfo/title">
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="bookinfo/title"/>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="title">
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="title"/>
    </xsl:when>
  </xsl:choose>
  <xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="bookinfo/subtitle">
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="bookinfo/subtitle"/>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="subtitle">
      <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="subtitle"/>
    </xsl:when>
  </xsl:choose>
  <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="bookinfo/corpauthor"/>
  <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="bookinfo/authorgroup"/>
  <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.auto.mode" select="bookinfo/author"/>
    <!-- added -->
  </fo:table-cell  >
    </fo:table-row>
      </fo:table-body>