DOCBOOK-APPS:RE: DOCBOOK-APPS: DSSSL vs. XSL and processing tools

>I am about to embark on the journey of learning docbook and have little
>experience with XML. My first step is to decide on a style language and
>processing tool, and I am hoping that folks on this list can enlighten
me
>on
>a few points.

Well. I think you are not correct in your approach.
If you plan to learn docbook, what you need first of all is to learn SGML
or XML. If you used SGML, you will not be able to use XSL solutions. But
if you choose XML you will be able to used both DSSSL and XSL solutions,
with the drawback to not being able to use the many SGML features XML doesn't
have.
Luckily for you, docbook people have created some nice stylesheets that
make the work automatic for you, so in the first instance you need not learning
DSSSL not XSL. It just works.
If in the future you need to alter the stylesheets, then it will be the
time to start choosing a style language.
But now, I would stress on good SGML/XML comprehension rather than style
language.

¡¡¡ Tarifa Plana Premium Nº1 del mercado !!!
Inicia by Tiscali, el líder europeo de acceso a Internet
te ofrece el ACCESO MEJOR VALORADO por Computer Hoy
SEGURIDAD y VELOCIDAD en tu conexión
por sólo 17, 99 € / 2.994 ptas. mes (+IVA)
¡ Descúbrela AHORA ! http://alta.tiscali.es/ahorainicia.jsp