customizing page TOCs in HTML output

Can someone please point me to the file(s) and templates where I can
customize the display of Tables of Contents inserted at the top of page in
both single and chunked HTML output?

I'd like to experiment with a horizontal link list and, to improve
accessibility, I'd like to insert a TITLE attribute in the link that
contains the same text as the section title.

Thanks.                    ...edN