My ordered lists have extra space between lines.

My ordered lists have extra space between lines.

The problem below happens in both html and in fo->fop->pdf.

using docbook-xsl-1.50.0 (and older versions)

<orderedlist numeration="arabic" spacing="compact">
</orderedlist>

produces html like this:

        <ol type="1" compact="">
          <li>
          </li>
          <li>
          </li>
          <li>
          </li>
        </ol>

Which produces output like this:

  1. item 1

  2. item 2

  3. item 3

There are two problems.  The obvious one is the <p> wrapped around the list content produces an extra blank line between list items.  The result is the same with the orderedlist spacing set to normal.

The content in the docbook listitem needs to be wrapped in something since the listitem can't be PCDATA.  Is there something else I can wrap my docbook items in that won't produce the extra spacing produced with <para>?

Also according to the html4.0 spec the attribute compact should be rendered as either: [compact] or [compact="compact"].  However they warn that many browsers only interpret the simpler form.

--

-- Stephen Bannasch
   Director of Technology, Concord Consortium