typography in dsssl (print)

Hi-
(1) Just wondered why sub-/superscripts are defined by fractions of
font-size since there seem to be "\sub" and "\super" -constructs in RTF as
well, which would -- in contrast to the current method -- use the fonts'
own sub- and superscript-characters. The latter (if available) went through
their own development-process under the type-designer's mouse: As true
SmallCaps-characters, true sub- and superscript-characters have a little
bit more weight compared to the same characters sized down to the same
H-height. (If true-chars are not available in the font, I still consider
the sizing a job of the RTF-renderer.)

Furthermore, the scaling-factors defined in dbparams.dsl do not result in
nice sizes to my eyes. I propose the following values:

(define %ss-size-factor%
; 0.6)
   0.7)

(define %ss-shift-factor%
;  0.4)
    0.25)

(2) Is there a way / docbook-element, that distinguishes between
oblique/slanted and (true) italics?

What do you think?

da
--
Is that a serif in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?