Re: selecting imagedata for fo and html,scaling using depth

/ Bob Stayton <bobs@caldera.com> was heard to say:
| On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 04:37:07AM -0500, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
|> I would like to use a scaled high-resolution image for
|> fo and an unscaled lower resolution image for html output.
|>
|> [workaround using scaling]
|
| You have raised a good issue regarding
| the processing of images.  Quoting the Definitive Guide
| reference page for <mediaobject>:
|
|   "For example, a MediaObject might contain a video, a high
|   resolution image, a low resolution image, a long text
|   description, and a short text description. In a 'high
|   end' online system, the video is used. For print
|   publishing, the high resolution image is used. For other
|   online systems, either the high or low resolution image is
|   used, possibly including the short text description as the
|   online alternative. In a text-only environment, either the
|   long or short text descriptions are used. "
|
| This sounds like exactly what you want, but
| the current XSL stylesheets don't do this.  The html
| and fo stylesheets both use the same 'select.mediaobject'
| template, which is in common/common.xsl.   That template
| currently doesn't try to select an image appropriate for
| its output medium.  I suspect this is just an unfinished
| feature of the stylesheets.

Right. I'm not sure I knew how unfinished until today, but...

I've always assumed that one would use the format to distinguish the
images (high-res .EPS for print and low-res .PNG for HTML) but that's
not going to be sufficient.

A class attribute? Roles? PIs? Hmmm...

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm