Re: Again: Apache FOP,Docbook: Features / Versions,"complete" Docbook distribution

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 08:57:44PM +0100, Alexander Schatten wrote:
> This complete "framework" is SO complex to setup, I have never seen
> something like this before, especially when there is no documentation
> that explains the necessary steps in one document. currently I feel like
> playing a text-adventure, getting different types of hints from
> different persons.

Yes, that is the current situation.
I respectfully suggest that perhaps it would help if you
could lower your expectations for DocBook XSL/FO processing
at this point in time.  The FO standard reached final W3C
Recommendation status only on 15 Oct 2001.  I don't think
any of the FO processors claim to handle all of it yet.

There isn't one complete framework yet, but there are
several groups working on individual components that can be
used in a framework.  Some assembly is still required at
this point.  And it is difficult because the pieces are all still
under active development, yet they all have to work
together.  Each group has to adapt as the others make
forward (and sometimes backward) progress.  I've lost track
of how many times Norm has had an XSL processor change
on him, forcing an update of the XSL stylesheets.

I once wrote up a step-by-step process for downloading and
running a fo processing system, but I can't give it to you
because it is completely out of date now.  I'm going to
keep muddling through until things settle down and we see
what works best.  Eventually there will be nice complete
frameworks that anyone can set up, but we aren't there yet.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com