Re: Re: Print backend: problems with table layouts

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 07:13, Matt G. wrote:
> <rant>
> Unfortunately, the OpenJade maintainers seem to be completely neglecting it.

Tsk. openjade 1.3.1 will be released shortly.

>   I don't care about new features, but one might expect they'd at least do a
> maintenance release including back-ported fixes, for problems subsequently
> fixed, and patches, like the one I mentioned.

The main purposes of openjade 1.3.1 are twofold:

    - Incorporate all the fixes that have been in common use in the
years since 1.3 was released (mostly in the jadetex backend including
the fixed table support)
    - Provide support for newer build environments (gcc, automake,
libtool etc) so that openjade can be built in a modern environment (be
it linux, macosx, bsd, UNIX or Win32).

> Yes, DSSSL is pretty much dead, but OpenJade is the world's best/most
> complete processor (to my knowledge), and to neglect it so severely (i.e.
> not doing maintenance releases with existing fixes), when  people
> undoubtedly still depend on it, is irresponsible, IMO.

I appreciate your frustration - as it is one that I share, But rather
than just being rude about a group of unpaid volunteers I decided to do
something about it.

> </rant>

If you want to try things out, point your CVSROOT at openjade's cvs
repository and do

    cvs co -r RELEASE-1_3_1-pre1

Then you could be constructive by providing feedback to the
openjade-devel mailing list. [since 1.3.1-pre1 there are been quite a
few more fixes, so I would expect a 1.3.1-pre2 before the final release]

Regards,

Ian.