Re: How things point to things?

/ ttg@charter.net was heard to say:
| If I use the declaration:
| http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd

By declaration, I assume you mean,

<!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.0/docbookx.dtd";>

at the start of your document. In which case, I strongly recommend

<!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd";>

instead (4.1.2 is the current XML version).

| to point to the DTD, how does the parser find the
| actual DTD code?

Short answer: by following the URI reference.

Long answer:

The parser can find it by any means it wants. In particular, it can
ask an entity resolver, which might be based on XML Catalogs[1], to
return the DTD code. That resolver might return a local resource or it
might dereference the URI.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec.html