Re: Re: Floating images

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 07:45:36PM +0200, Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:
> At 08:46 15/12/2001 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> > Wrapping text around a figure is but a small example of "layout
> > driven" formatting. The XSL WG decided that layout driven formatting
> > was sufficiently complex and difficult that it was not a reasonable
> > 1.0 feature.

Well, wrapping text around the side of a figure must not be
considered "layout driven" formatting, because it _is_ in
the XSL 1.0 Recommendation (http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/):

  6.10.2 fo:float
  Common Usage:

  The fo:float formatting object is typically used either to
  cause an image to be positioned in a separate area at the
  beginning of a page, or to cause an image to be positioned
  to one side, with normal content flowing around and
  along-side the image.

To get what you want, you would need to get <fo:float float="right">
into your fo output.

> So, could anyone please confirm that it's impossible to generate pdf
> with floating images using either DSSSL or XSL, and that one has to
> emulate that with tables?

Scanning through the XSL fo stylesheet files, I don't find
the word "float" anywhere, and looking at the XSL template
for <figure> I don't see the DocBook float attribute being
supported.  So without customizing the stylesheet, you won't
be able to output a fo:float.

If you do customize the stylesheet, I couldn't tell you
if any of the FO processors will handle <fo:float> because I've
never tried it.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com