Avoiding extra linebreaks in <li> items in Opera

Platform: Intel PIII, debian woody, GNU Emacs 20
	XAE 1.0-beta6, installed from tarball, not from debian package

<li> items in <ul> lists in generated HTML for my setup above,
have extra linebreaks in them when displayed in Opera (5.0/linux,
and 5.12/Win2k).

The reason is that
      <itemizedlist>
	<listitem>
	  <para>This is para</para>
	</listitem>
      </itemizedlist>
is turned into
       <ul>
          </li>
       </ul>

If I lose the <p> element, it displays correctly in Opera, and
AFAICT should display correctly in all browsers.

My questions are:
Is the same HTML generated in the current XSL stylesheets?
Does anyone know specifically which .xsl file to go to tweak it?

Thanx!

- Steinar

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
TANDBERG Television. If received in error please notify the sender and
destroy the original message and attachments.