Segmentedlist - help needed

Any examples of how to display a segmentedlist as a table would be
appreciated.

I don't understand the explanation in DocBook's documentation (sorry,
Norman..), and there is no mention of segmentedlist in "DocBook
Publishing".

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/docbook/chapter/book/segmentedlist.html

shows the syntax for presentation in the "list" form:

State Capitals

State: Alabama
Capital: Montgomery
State: Alaska
Capital: Anchorage
State: Arkansas
Capital: Little Rock

But doesn't give anything specific for the "tabular" form (the one I
need), as shown here:

>   Table 2. State Capitals
>
>    State    Capital
>   Alabama  ???
>   Alaska   Anchorage
>   Arkansas Little Rock

I found the following statements in the descriptions for children of
segmentedlist:
"Each Seg is a cell in the body of the table"
"Each SegListItem is a row in the table"
"Each SegTitle is a column heading"
"The first SegTitle goes with the first Seg in each SegListItem, the
second with the second..."

Which is fine if one had but an example.

I'm not sure how to react to your last statement:

> However, the off-the-shelf DocBook stylesheets (the XSLT ones at
> least) don't actually support that kind of tabular presentation of a
> segmentedlist. (But Norm Walsh did very recently make a change to
the XSLT stylesheets to support tabular presentation of a
variablelist. That change should be in the next release of the
stylesheets.)

Am I stuck with a work-around, and if so, for how long? I would have
thought that DocBook, being THE framework for technical
documentation, would have this indispensable list type in place long
ago... So much of technical documentation IS lists such as these!

John