Re: extension for saxon 6.4.3 broken?

On 20010727 22:26 (Friday), M.-A. DARCHE wrote:
> For more information on this, I would suggest to refer to the
>
> * RFC "Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax"
>   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt
>
> * RFC "Uniform Resource Locators (URL)"
>   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt

I should maybe have also mentioned this one :

* RFC "Relative Uniform Resource Locators"
  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1808.txt

> So the following are correct on Unix:
> file://localhost/home/user/data/fileResource
> file:///home/user/data/fileResource
>
> And I can only guess, and cannot test, for Microsoft Windows:
> file://localhost/C:\somedir\anotherone\fileResource
> file:///C:\somedir\anotherone\fileResource
>
> So I don't see any reason why "file://" could be correct for a win32 platform...

But I'm not so sure of my interpretation as of this new day.

While the RFC says :
fileurl        = "file://" [ host | "localhost" ] "/" fpath

I'm more inclined to think about it as :
fileurl        = "file://" [ hostpart "/"] fpath
hostpart       =  host | "localhost"

with fpath which could be
/home/user/data/fileResource or
C:\somedir\anotherone\fileResource

...but according to the RFC fpath cannot start with an "/"
so it seems that my first interpretation was good, but I'm not
convinced.
Some tests on Windows could be done too. But how far one is to trust a
Microsoft implementation, is just another problem.

Like Dave, I would really appreciate, to have some feedback on this,
to know what others think about it.
And Dave, if you find it out, please let me know.

Cheers,

--
Marc-Aurčle DARCHE  <http://ma.darche.free.fr>
AFUL <http://www.aful.org>