From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:veillard@redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 12:37 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: First stable release of the Gnome XSLT library

[ For those who were wondering if alternative OSes could be used count me in
]

       Hi all,

  I'm happy to announce the first stable release 1.0.0 of libxslt, the
Gnome XSLT library (and version 2.4.0 of libxml2 the Gnome XML library).

Libxslt is believed to implement all the XSLT-1.0 constructs, support
a few "common" extensions and provide an extension framework. It also
includes a simple to use command line interface 'xsltproc' with an
XSLT profiler.

  It had been in use by early adopters for more than 3 months with a bias
on DocBook document processing since it will be used by Gnome and KDE
for formatting their documentation. It is suposed to be stable and fast
enough for 'serious' usage, like formatting/chunking the DocBook Definitve
Guide (15 mn and 60 MBytes of memory use).

  The C code and precompiled RPM packages for linux are available at
                 ftp://xmlsoft.org/

  The project pages are at:
               http://xmlsoft.org/XSLT/
	       http://xmlsoft.org/

This is free software available under the LGPL or a licence similar to
the W3C IPR.  It should be portable, it is know to work on Linux. BSD,
Solaris, and there is Windows makefiles for MSC. The libraries are written
in pure C and have no other requirement than the C standard and some
POSIX constructs. The licences allows to embed it in commercial products.

  I would like to thanks Red Hat for supporting this effort since its
inception in January this year, the various contributors to this project
especially Bjorn Reese and William Brack, and everybody who reported bugs,
provided patches, ideas or reused it in other projects (KDE, Gnome, AxKit,
etc.), and the Gnome project in general http://www.gnome.org/ .

  I hope it will help reusing XSLT in areas where the price, processing
cost or portability had been so far a problem.

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com