Re: Problem executing Xalan or Saxon...

Dan York wrote:

>Folks,
>
>My laptop died this morning, taking with it my XSL processing environment!
>It's going in for repair, but in the meantime, I'm getting my (RH Linux 6.2)
>desktop at work set up to work with XML/XSL. I installed everything[1],
>but now with either Saxon or Xalan, I get an error like this (for Saxon):
>
>  Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>  org/icl/saxon/Stylesheet
>
>with Xalan it is:
>
>  Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>  org/apache/xalan/xslt/Process
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I think I've duplicated
>the steps I went through on my laptop... and it's frustrating that it
>doesn't work.
>
>Thanks,
>Dan
>
>[1] I installed JRE 1.3.1, Xalan 2.1.0, Saxon 6.2.2, and Norm's XSL
>stylesheets 1.40. All of these were downloaded *today* from their
>original distribution web sites.
>
>The commands I used were (split into multiple lines):
>
>  $ java com.icl.saxon.Stylesheet test.xml
>  /usr/share/sgml/docbook-xsl-1.40/html/docbook.xsl
>
>  $ java org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in test.xml -out test.html -xsl
>  /usr/share/sgml/docbook-xsl-1.40/html/docbook.xsl
>
>My PATH variable includes the java executable.  My CLASSPATH is set to:
>
>  .:/usr/share/xalan/xalan.jar:/usr/share/xalan/xerces.jar:/usr/share/xalan/samples/xalansamples.jar:/usr/share/xalan/bsf.jar:/usr/share/saxon/saxon.jar:/usr/share/saxon/saxon-fop.jar
>
>Xalan is in /usr/share/xalan, Saxon in /usr/share/saxon.  The 'test.xml'
>file is a very basic DocBook XML file that processed perfectly fine with
>the identical setup on my laptop.

Dear Dan,

I got a different error (segmentation fault) when I used Xalan. But it
seems more than a coincidence that this happens only when I use JRE
1.3.1. Everything works fine with JRE 1.3. Both versions of JRE are
downloaded from SUN's site, both last week. Both were tested on the same
document, with the same stylesheets (Norm ones).

Even the error you got is completely different from the above, I suggest
you to try JRE 1.3: something tells me this is a chance...

Let me know what happens.

Best regards.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.