Problems with colour when going to a new page

I don't know if it's the way I'm defining how emphasis is being
handled, but I have a problem that the colour changes when a block is
displayed across a page boundary.

I'm using pdfjadetex to process DSSSL 1.57 stylesheets. Here is my
stylesheet driver, which sets the colours for the various emphasis roles:

  ----- cut here ------
<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN" [
<!ENTITY docbook.dsl SYSTEM "/usr/lib/sgml/docbook/print/docbook.dsl" CDATA dsssl>
]>

(define %generate-article-toc%
  ;; Should a Table of Contents be produced for Articles?
  ;; If true, a Table of Contents will be generated for each 'Article'.
  #f)

(define %generate-article-titlepage%
  ;; Should an article title page be produced?
  #f)

(element emphasis
  (cond
   ( (equal? (attribute-string "role") "crebin")
     (let* ((colr-space (color-space
			 "ISO/IEC 10179:1996//Color-Space Family::Device RGB"))
	    (green (color colr-space 0 1 0)))
       (make sequence
	 font-posture: 'italic
	 color: green
	 (process-children))))
   ( (equal? (attribute-string "role") "borrow")
     (let* ((colr-space (color-space
			 "ISO/IEC 10179:1996//Color-Space Family::Device RGB"))
	    (red (color colr-space 1 0 0)))
       (make sequence
	 font-weight: 'bold
	 color: red
	 (process-children))))
   (else
    (let* ((colr-space (color-space
			"ISO/IEC 10179:1996//Color-Space Family::Device RGB"))
	   (cyan (color colr-space 0.1 0.7 1)))
      (make sequence
	font-posture: 'italic
	color: cyan
	(process-children))))))

(define title-style
  (style
   font-family-name: %title-font-family%
   font-weight: 'bold
   quadding: 'start))

(define ($lowtitlewithsosofo$ tlevel sosofo)
  (let ((hs (HSIZE (- 3 tlevel))))
    (let* ((colr-space (color-space
			"ISO/IEC 10179:1996//Color-Space Family::Device RGB"))
	   (black (color colr-space 0 0 0)))
      (make paragraph
	font-family-name: %title-font-family%
	font-weight: 'bold
	font-size: hs
        color: black
	line-spacing: (* hs %line-spacing-factor%)
	space-before: (* hs %head-before-factor%)
	space-after: (* hs %head-after-factor%)
	start-indent: %body-start-indent%
	quadding: 'start
	keep-with-next?: #t
	heading-level: (if %generate-heading-level% (+ tlevel 2) 0)
	sosofo))))

(define ($lowtitle$ tlevel)
  ($lowtitlewithsosofo$ tlevel (process-children)))

(define ($runinhead$)
  (let* ((title    (data (current-node)))
	 (titlelen (string-length title))
	 (lastchar (string-ref title (- titlelen 1)))
	 (punct    (if (member lastchar %content-title-end-punct%)
		       ""
		       %default-title-end-punct%)))
    (make sequence
      font-weight: 'bold
      (process-children)
      (literal punct " "))))

(element title ($lowtitle$ 2))         ;; the default TITLE format
(element titleabbrev (empty-sosofo))
(element subtitle (empty-sosofo))

(mode title-mode
  (element title
    (process-children)))

(define %section-autolabel%
  ;; Are sections enumerated?
  #f)

(define %paper-type%
  ;; Name of paper type
  ;; "A4"
  "A4")

(define %two-side%
  ;; Is two-sided output being produced?
  #f)

<external-specification id="docbook" document="docbook.dsl">
  ----- cut here ------

and here is the XML source code:
  ----- cut here ------
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
                     "http://docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd">
<article>
<title>Baase Illiam Dhone</title>
<subtitle>The death of Willam Christian</subtitle>
<para>The Manx text is in normal type.</para>
<para><emphasis role="borrow">George Borrow's translation is in bold
red type.</emphasis></para>
<para><emphasis role="crebin">John Crebbin's 1774 translation is in
italic green type.</emphasis></para>

<orderedlist>
<listitem>
<literallayout>
 Quoi yinnagh e hreishteil ayns ooashley ny pooar
 Ayns aegid ny aalid ny ayns kinney mooar
 Son troo farg as goanlys ver mow dooiney erbee
 As ta dty vaase Illiam Dhone brishey nyn gree.
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis>
 Who wouldst (her) trust in worship of authority
 In youth's beauty or in great kinney(?)
 For envy, anger and spite will bring waste to any man
 And thy death, Illiam Dhone, is breaking our heart.
</emphasis></literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="borrow">
 Let no one in greatness too confident be,
 Nor trust in his kindred though high their degree;
 For envy and rage will lay any man low:
 Thy murder, Brown William, fills Mona with woe.
</emphasis></literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="crebin">
 In so shifting a scene who would confidence place
 In family, youth power, or personal grace?
 No character's proof against enmity foul:
 And thy fate, Illiam Dhone, sickens my soul.
</emphasis></literallayout>
</listitem>
<listitem>
<literallayout>
 V'ou dty Resour Vannin, ard-ghooiney ny cheerey
 V'ou gowit son dooiney seyr as dooiney creeney
 As she jeh dty gellal vie cha row shin skee
 Agh ta dty vaase Illiam Mooar brishey nyn gree.
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis>
 Thou wast the Receiver of Mann, a great patriot
 Thou wast taken for a gentleman and a wise man
 And yes of thy good rule we were not weary
 But thy death, Illiam Mooar, is breaking our heart.
</emphasis></literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="borrow">
 Thou wast the Receiver of Mona's fair state,
 Thy conduct was noble, thy wisdom was great,
 And ne'er of thy rule did she weariness show:
 Thy murder, Brown William, fills Mona with woe.
</emphasis></literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="crebin">
 You were Derbys; Receiver of patriot zeal,
 Replete with good sense, and reputed genteel;
 Your justice applauded by the young and the old:
 And thy fate, Illiam Dhone, sickens my soul.
</emphasis></literallayout>
</listitem>
<listitem>
<literallayout>
 V'ou laue yesh yn Eearley sooill yesy y theay
 Shen hug da dty noidyn gatt whesh dt'oi ayns feah
 She troo farg as goanlys ver mow dooiney erbee
 As ta dty vaase Illiam Mooar brishey nyn gree.
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis>
 Thou wast the right hand of Earley and the right eye of the people
 These gave to him thy enemies swelling so much against thee in feah (?)
 Yes envy, anger and spite will bring waste to any man
 And thy death, Illiam Mooar, is breaking our heart.
</emphasis>
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="borrow">
 Thy right hand was Earley, and Theah thy right eye;
 Thy state caused thy foemen with rage to swell high;
 And envy and rage will lay any man low;
 Thy murder, Brown William, fills Mona with woe.
</emphasis></literallayout>
</listitem>
<listitem>
<literallayout>
 B'aalin dty state thallooin ec Runnysvie
 B'eunyssagh dty gharaghyn, b'ooasle dty hie
 She troo farg as goanlys ver mow dooiney erbee
 Agh ta dty vaase Illiam Dhone brishey nyn gree.
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis>
 How (? - I can't find b') lovely thy (farm?) of land at Ronaldsway
 How delightful thy gardens, how noble thy house
 Yes envy, anger and spite will bring waste to any man
 And thy death, Illiam Dhone, is breaking our heart.
</emphasis></literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="borrow">
 How blest thy condition in fair Ronaldsway!
 Thy mansion, how stately! thy garden, how gay!
 But oh! what disasters from envy do flaw:
 Thy murder, Brown William, fills Mona with woe.
</emphasis></literallayout>
</listitem>
<listitem>
<literallayout>
 V'ad er gra dy daink screeunyn dy chort oody baase
 Lesh feanishyn foalsey va follym dyn graase
 Yn ving v'er ny h'agglagh dy beign dty 'aagail mooie
 As ta dty vaase Illiam Mooar brishey nyn gree.
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis>
 Letters have said to have come to put thee to death
 With false witnesses (who) were empty without grace
 The jury was fearful to would be thy leave out
 And thy death, Illiam Mooar, is breaking our heart.
</emphasis>
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="borrow">
 'Twas said, at thy tfig by men void of faith,
  The king, by a letter, demanded thy death:
  The jury was frightened, and dared. not say. " No, !"
  Thy murder, Brown William, fills Mona with woe.
</emphasis>
</literallayout>
</listitem>
<listitem>
<literallayout>
 As nagh dhere Clein Colead keoi nyn aigney hene
 Tra whooar ad dy lhie 'syn floor Chlein Christeen
 She troo farg as goanlys ver mow dooiney erbee
 As ta dty vaase Illiam Dhone brishey nyn gree.
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis>
 And not bulling (? dher) wild Clan Colead their own mind
 When haughty (?, begrudging?) they to lie down in the flour (??flooyr) of Clan Christeen.
 Yes envy, anger and spite will bring waste to any man
 And thy death, Illiam Dhone, is breaking our heart.
</emphasis>
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="borrow">
 The clan of wild Colead could ne'er be at rest
 Whilst the race, of Christeen their own acres possessed;
 And envy and spite will bring any man low:
 Thy murder, Brown William, fills Mona with woe.
</emphasis>
</literallayout>
<literallayout>
 She oo va dty vaaderagh as dty ghooiney foalley
 Hug oo saynt da Runnysvie myr roïe da Logh Molley
 Er garrey-feeyney Naboth va'n geantagh cloie
 As ta dty vaase Illiam Mooar brishey nyn gree.
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis>
 Yes you were thy fornicater and thy false man.
 You gave covetousness to him Ronaldsway like before now to him Logh Molley (Lake of Sweetness)
 On the work of Naboth's vines was the tragedy (?) played
 And thy death, Illiam Mooar, is breaking our heart.
</emphasis>
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="borrow">
 A band of adulterers, curst and unholy,
 For Ronaldsway lust, as they did for Logh Molley;
 Of Naboth the tagedy's played here anew:
 Thy murder, Brown William, fills Mona with woe.
</emphasis>
</literallayout>
<literallayout>
 Nagh byrrys enn dooinyn nagh hoill eshyn baase
 Son fer dy dug laue ayns d'uill cha ren rieau grayse
 Agh feoghey as creenagh myr yn vaskad vuigh
 As ta dty vaase Illiam Dhone brishey nyn gree.
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis>
 Not ? know/feel to us did not deserve him death
 For a man to put a hand in thy blood make not ever grace
 But ? and withered like the too yellow basket (?)
 And thy death, Illiam Dhone, is breaking our heart.
</emphasis>
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="borrow">
 Not one of the band but received his just need,
 Who acted a part in that damnable deed;
 To dwindle away the whole band was not slow:
 Thy murder, Brown William, fills Mona with woe.
</emphasis></literallayout>
</listitem>
<listitem>
<literallayout>
 Gow uss dys manishter ny callaghyn doo
 As eie son Clein Colcad der' vrishys dty ghoo
 Ta'n ennym shen caillt venish Manninee chooie
 As ta dty vaase Illiam Mooar brishey nyn gree.
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis>
 Take thyself to (?? Manishter (master?) of the Black Callaghan??)
 And shout for Clan Colcad until broke thy word/fame
 The name is so lost their ?Manninee most fit
 And thy death, Illiam Mooar, is breaking our heart.
</emphasis>
</literallayout>
<literallayout><emphasis role="borrow">
 To Callaghyn-doo, and to Vannyster roam,
  And call on the Coleael till hoarse ye become:
  Gone, gone is the name so well known long ago;
  Thy murder, Brown William, fills Mona with woe.
</emphasis></literallayout>
</listitem>
</orderedlist>
</article>
  ----- cut here ------

When one of the literallayout blocks has to be split over a page
boundary, then the colour in the resulting PDF file changes.

Is it my DSSSL code, or is it a bug in the 1.57 stylesheets?
If the former, what am I doing wrong?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire