Re: Re: DOCBOOK: Efficiently including images in DocBook

/ Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> was heard to say:
| On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 08:10:27AM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
| > | It's attached.  I've verified this with 1.57 of the stylesheets.  The HTML
| > | and HTML-without-graphics versions are produced correctly, the PS and PDF
| > | versions both use the ASCII art instead of the appropriate image file.
| >
| > Ok, the trouble is that mediaobject doesn't have exactly the same semantics
| > as graphic. The whole point of mediaobject was to allow documents to specify
| > multiple alternative presentations. You have:
[...]
| Last time I tried that, the stylesheets got confused.  Specifically, if you
| were using the print stylesheet then they would select the .eps file.  This
| broke PDF generation, where the .png file should be used.  The only way
| I came up with to stop this was to either

Ah, I see. Ok, I think the answer is to make the *-mediaobject-extensions
and *-mediaobject-notations variables into functions and then test
the backend:

(define (preferred-mediaobject-extensions)
  (if (equal? 'backend 'tex)
    (list "png" "eps" "ps" "jpg" "jpeg")
    (list "eps" "ps" "jpg" "jpeg" "png")))

So that the TeX version will prefer PNG over EPS.

| > Having said that, I've also fixed it so that a single imageobject with a
| > filename that does not have an extension works as you expected :-)
|
| Can you send me the patch, and I'll check that it works as expected here.

Let me make the changes above then I'll do a new release for you.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | If you are losing your leisure, look