PNG in TeX output for PDF output

Hi all,

I'm getting some slightly weird behaviour I'm trying to understand.

Here's the system I'm using:

Sparc 5 running Solaris 7
Jade version 1.2.1
DocBook 4.1 XML
Mr. Walsh's DSSSL Stylesheets, version 1.54

Here's the area in question out of the document:

      <para>
	Throughout this manual there are several sample screen images
	of &softname; in action.  Because of the nature of various
	operating systems and browser settings, the sample images may
	not match your screen identically.  They are provided for
	reference only.
      </para>
    </note>

      <screenshot>
	<mediaobject>
	  <imageobject>
	    <imagedata fileref="images/login.png"
		       format="PNG"
		       align="center"
		       width="576"
		       depth="373"/>
	  </imageobject>
	</mediaobject>
      </screenshot>
    </figure>

I've converted the admonition graphics to .png files, and adjusted
Mr. Walsh's stylesheets accordingly (just changed ".gif" to ".png"
and turned the %admon-graphics% stuff on).

The 'note.png' admonition graphic shows up properly in the TeX that's
generated, and then the rest of the stuff renders it properly into
PDF.

My 'login.png' file doesn't show up in the TeX, so of course, never
makes it to the PDF.  If I include a <textobject>, it gets used in the
TeX in preference to the PNG.

If I change the 'format="PNG"' to 'format="EPS"' but don't change the
filename, I get my PNG image just fine.  I assume that 'note.png' is
working for a similar reason.

Is there something that can be done to get the "PNG" format to be
recognized as allowable for the TeX backend, to avoid this workaround?

Sean Ross
Corvallis, Oregon, USA
rosss@research.oneworld.com