Re: Can't connect to ssh host with Emacs tramp

On 1/5/2018 11:37 AM, David Karr wrote:
On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 5:15 PM, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:
On 1/4/2018 5:42 PM, David Karr wrote:

I've reviewed some of the Emacs tramp documentation, but I'm not sure
what the issue is.

If I'm using Cygwin, I don't need the putty components for this, do I?

No, I make ssh connections through Emacs tramp without putty.

When I attempt to open a text file in my homedir on a remote host,
which I can ssh to (passwordless) from the shell, it just times out.

The *Messages* buffer shows this (fqhn is the hostname):
------------------
Tramp: Opening connection for fqhn using scp...
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh   -o ControlMaster=auto -o
ControlPath='tramp.%C' -o ControlPersist=no -e none fqhn’
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...
Timeout reached, see buffer ‘*tramp/scp fqhn*’ for details
Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell...failed
Tramp: Opening connection for fqhn using scp...failed
-----------------------

There doesn't appear to be a buffer named "*tramp/scp fqhn*".

Sorry, I don't know enough about tramp to diagnose this.  Maybe it would
help if you would say exactly what commands you gave.  And does the problem
occur if you start with 'emacs -Q'?

What "commands" am I giving?  All I'm trying to do is open a single
file on the remote host.

Yes, but I wanted to see exactly what you typed in order to specify the remote file. Sorry if I confused you by saying "commands".

I'm entering "//fqhn:/home/<myuid>/.bash_profile".

I'm not aware of any valid Tramp syntax that starts with a double slash. [On Cygwin, I think file names starting with a double slash refer to network files, but I don't think this should cause Emacs to invoke Tramp.] See the section "Remote Files" in the Emacs manual. You might find this easier than the Tramp manual. In particular, I suggest you try something like

  /ssh:fqhn:/home/<myuid>/.bash_profile

or

  /ssh:<user>@fqhn:/home/<myuid>/.bash_profile

You can omit "ssh:' in emacs-25, but this won't be allowed in emacs-26, so you might as well get used to using it.

I'm away from home at the moment and can't easily test that I've got all this exactly right.

I get different behavior using "emacs -Q".  I don't get a timeout
error, but I also don't think it even attempted to connect to the
remote box.  The editor view just opens with the given name, but it's
empty (it shouldn't be).

The file you specified with the double slash syntax doesn't exist.

The "*Messages*" buffer doesn't indicate
that it ever tried to make a connection.  It also says "Use M-x
make-directory RET RET to create the directory and its parents".

So you must have some customization that's changing the behavior. You might have to bisect your .emacs file to find it.

Ken