ssh + remote tmux

Hi all,

I have a slightly annoying problem with tmux on a remote machine when using
Cygwin ssh client from Windows 10 console.

I have two linux machines: a VM running on Hyper-V and a Raspberry Pi3.

When I connect to the VM machine and run tmux, the status line is offset by
one line up and basically "fights" with the last line of output about which
one gets painted. If I leave it for a while, the status line gets duplicated
every few seconds and moves upwards.

This happens with both my tmux config and the default one (my config only
remaps some keys)

This doesn't happen if I connect from mintty or if I use putty.

This does not happen when I ssh into my RPi3.

When I ssh into either of them, TERM is set to "cygwin". When I start tmux,
TERM is "screen".

uname -a for the VM:
Linux seed 4.12.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.12.6-1 (2017-08-12) x86_64 GNU/Linux

uname -a for RPi3:
Linux rpi3 4.9.41-v7+ #1023 SMP Tue Aug 8 16:00:15 BST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

The VM uses debian's testing repo, and tmux version is 2.6-rc3.

Rpi3 is on stretch., tmux version is 2.3.

I've tried sshing into a few of our office proxmox nodes, running tmux 2.3 and
they work fine.

Would this be some strange tmux 2.6/Cygwin/Windows console interaction, since
both tmux 2.6 and 2.3 work fine from mintty and putty?

I've attached cygcheck output.

Thank you!
--
Marko