Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libreadline7-7.0.3-3

On 28 July 2017 at 08:54, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 07/28/2017 07:09 AM, Steven Penny wrote:
>> On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 06:41:08, Eric Blake wrote:

>>    $ chcp.com 65001
>>    Active code page: 65001
>>
>>    $ ./cygwin.exe
>>
>>    $ ./mingw32.exe
>>

>>    $ chcp.com 437
>>    Active code page: 437
>>
>>    $ ./cygwin.exe

IIRC, cygwin was changed some time ago (in the last year?) to always
emit unicode or UTF-8 to the console (i.e, it calls a different Win32
API function). Again, IIRC, it used to sometimes use one API call and
sometimes the other to write UTF-8 and unencoded bytes, depending on
something, perhaps the code page? I think it was written up in a
cygwin1.dll update announcement.

It looks like the mingw32 cross-compiler c runtime has not made that
change. That's the Microsoft supplied CRT, I believe.

In any case, this problem has nothing to do with libreadline of any
version, nor the current version of cygwin1.dll. It is possible that
this lies in the domain of mingw32, which suggests that it may be
off-topic here or at least needs a new subject line.

HTH
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com