Re: Latest Cygwin update and Emacs in Mintty

On 6/17/2017 4:20 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
Ken Brown writes:
No, it really was a Cygwin update (to 2.7.0-1).  The Emacs update was
before that and it had worked right up to that update.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant by "Cygwin update".  I
understand now.  I'll try to do a bisection of the Cygwin sources.  It
may be a few days before I get to this.

It may be possible that the coreutils update messed up things in a way
that I don't understand, but that's unlikely.  Or vim might have
delivered a file that conflicts with something from Emacs, but Emacs has
since been updated again and so that conflict would have flipped in
favor of Emacs at those times, which I didn't observe (and no such
conflicts seem to exist in the package file listings at the current
moment).

I just tried downgrading cygwin1.dll to the 2016-12-14 snapshot, emacs to 25.1-1 (released 2016-09-17), and coreutils to 8.26-1 (released 2016-12-16). The problem is still there with that configuration. And starting with an off-white background is not necessary. Even with no .minttrc, 'emacs-nox -Q' followed by 'M-x set-background-color RET white RET' turns the background gray. I can also reproduce the problem in xterm, so I don't think Mintty is the culprit.

What about ncurses? That was updated on 2017-01-27? I haven't tried downgrading it yet, but I can probably try it later today.

Ken