Re: setup release candidate - please test

On 2017-05-08 05:11, Dave Caswell via cygwin wrote:
> Execution blocked by Windows 10 anti-virus.    (Microsoft Security Essentials.)
> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Dave Caswell <dave.caswell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Execution blocked by Windows 10 anti-virus.    (Microsoft Security
>> Essentials.)
>> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:06 AM, Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
>> wrote:
>>> A setup release candidate is available at:
>>>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86.exe
>>>   https://cygwin.com/setup/setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
>>> Since this changes the way we download files, I think this can
>>> use some wider testing before release.
>>> Please test and give feedback to cygwin@cygwin.com. If no
>>> regressions are discovered in the next few days, it will be
>>> promoted to release.
>>> Changes compared to 2.877:
>>> - "Direct Connection" now uses the WinINet API to fetch URLs.
>>> This enables HTTPS and FTPS protocol support, and caching of
>>> mirrors.lst and setup.ini.
>>> The existing, hand-built URL fetching, which only supports HTTP
>>> and FTP, is still available by choosing "Direct (legacy)".
>>> - Fixes to "Use Internet Explorer Proxy Settings" mode
>>> Progress is now reported for downloads.
>>> Unwanted caching in "Temporary Internet Files" of package
>>> archives has been fixed.
>>> (Addresses: https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2016-09/msg00403.html)
>>> A bug causing a long delay before downloading setup.ini from
>>> package repositories without a compressed setup.ini has been
>>> fixed.
>>> - Add --allow-unsupported-windows option
>>> Don't check the windows version.
>>> The Cygwin mirror list is not read, so a URL (e.g. a Cygwin time
>>> machine circa) should be given with --site or via the GUI.
>>> - Remove support for some long-obsolete setup.ini syntax
>>> (omitted version:, omitted size and checksum, various
>>> undocumented tokens)
>>> - Remove cruft

$ *cmd /c ver*
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
$ *uname -srvmo*
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 2.8.0(0.309/5/3) 2017-04-01 20:47 x86_64 Cygwin

Firefox download gives W10 Windows Defender Run warning
"from an unknown publisher" and [Don't Run] button -
/More info/ link also displays [Run Anyway] button - runs okay.

wget download no longer sets x bits and won't run from Explorer,
cygstart, or bash:

$ cygstart ./setup-2.878.x86_64
Unable to start 'setup-2.878.x86_64.exe': The operating system denied access to the specified file.
$ cygstart ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
Unable to start 'setup-2.878.x86_64.exe': The operating system denied access to the specified file.
$ ./setup-2.878.x86_64
-bash: ./setup-2.878.x86_64: Permission denied
$ ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe
-bash: ./setup-2.878.x86_64.exe: Permission denied

- requires chmod +x to run.