Re: Please explain how to add to a thread in this mailing list

Greetings, Thomas Taylor!

> I'd like to thank all of you who responded with advice on how to use
> this mailing list, and how to reply to a post.  I'd especially like to
> thank Kaz Kylheku for his extensive and detailed tutorial on how to use
> the mailing list, written as a reply to my original post.  I encourage
> everyone to take a look at it.

The problem is not the lists or subscription.
The problem is that you are using gmail web interface.
It's hopelessly broken and is unlikely to be fixed any time soon.

> Eliot Moss suggested I sign up for the list, as I had just gone ahead
> and posted what I think is a bug ("tcsh version 6.19.00-3 hangs on
> exit") without realizing I should first sign up.

This is not necessary. Most senior list members use normal mail clients and
you will receive replies to your messages even if not subscribed.

> I then subscribed to the list in digest form, but it's difficult to use
> (emails come as individual numbered attachments, which must be
> cross-referenced to the digest itself), and doesn't lend itself to
> back-and-forth use.  Greg Freemyer suggested that I instead subscribe such
> that I get each post as a separate email.

People use digest when they don't plan to participate in discussions, or if
they are using web mail with no ability or inclination to setup main filters
so that list messages end in a separate directory and not disturbing their
private mails.
It is still possible to maintain threading to some extent, if you have such
restricted subscription. The solution is to reply to your own sent messages
closest in thread to the one you want to reply to. This, however, won't work
if the thread was not started by you.

> Jack (no last name) and Kaz both emphasized the importance of the
> "References" field in the message header.  I noticed the References
> field in the posts that were replies to my original post, but had no
> idea of how to incorporate this field into my replies to the replies.
> As I had not yet subscribed to the list, I had no emails to reply to.
> If I understand correctly, such emails would have included the essential
> References field in their message headers.  As I had not yet subscribed,
> I had no emails to reply to, and thus posted my replies (like this one)
> as top-level posts.

But gmail web doesn't insert these headers at all. And your emails sent from
it will always end up breaking threading.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...