Re: Trouble running emacs on new box

On 7/29/2016 10:17 PM, David M. Karr wrote:
On 07/29/2016 07:06 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 7/29/2016 4:51 PM, David Karr wrote:
I had Cygwin running on an old box for a while.  I have a desktop
shortcut to run Emacs, using the following command line:
---------------------
C:\cygwin64\bin\run2.exe --display 127.0.0.1:0.0
/usr/local/bin/emacs.xml
----------------

This was working fine.  I set this up quite a while ago, so I don't
quite remember the circumstances of the pieces of this.

I'm now setting up cygwin on a new box, with very similar
configuration. Unfortunately, setting up Cygwin is something I don't
do very often, and it's usually a year or more since the last time I
did it.  I've already reviewed the FAQ and User Guide for hints.

When I first tried this command line, it failed without any good error
messages.  I later realized that one good reason it's failing is that
"/usr/local/bin/emacs.xml" doesn't exist on the new box.  I looked at
this file on the old box, and it seems relatively simple, but is this
a file I'm supposed to create myself?  I don't remember doing this.

You have to run the script /usr/bin/make-emacs-shortcut to create that
file.  See /usr/share/doc/emacs/README.Cygwin for details.

Ah, ok.  Wouldn't it be a good idea for some of this information to be
put into the generated file as a comment?

Yes, good idea.  I'll do this in the next emacs release.

Ken