Re: Vim and cursor position

On 2016-02-14, James Darnley wrote:
> To the maintainer, Yaakov, or anyone else who knows:
>
> Have the compilation options of Vim changed recently?  Is there some
> other recent change that would cause the behaviour described below?
>
> Vim now appears to be remembering the last position of the cursor when
> you open files.  I notice it most when running 'git commit', the cursor
> never starts on the first line but would appear to be where ever I ended
> the previous message.
>
> I find this jolly annoying.
>
> I would appreciate any insights people can offer.

Recent releases of the Cygwin Vim package (starting with 7.4.1179-1,
2016-01-29) have included Red Hat's or Fedora's /etc/vimrc, which is
loaded first when starting Vim.  That file contains a BufReadPost
autocommand to do what you observe.

I don't like it, either, so I have this in my ~/.vimrc:

    " Remove the (annoying) /etc/vimrc autocommand that positions
    " the cursor " to the location it last had when the file was
    " closed.
    "
    if exists("#fedora#BufRead#*")
	au! fedora BufRead *
    endif
    if exists("#redhat#BufRead#*")
	au! redhat BufRead *
    endif

For Cygwin, you need only one of those, but I'm at home, my Cygwin
installation is at work, and I don't remember whether Cygwin uses
the Fedora or the Red Hat version of /etc/vimrc.

You may want to take a look at /etc/vimrc and see if it makes any
other settings you find undesirable and undo them in your ~/.vimrc
as well.

Regards,
Gary