Re: git clone fails with: error: chmod on config.lock failed: Invalid argument

On 1/27/2016 7:41 AM, Rainer Blome wrote:
Hi!

When I use "git clone foo bar" on a Linux host, it works as expected.

  git clone foo bar
  Cloning into 'bar'...
  done.

When I use the same command on my Cygwin 64 installation, this used
to work, but does not work any more.  I can fetch and otherwise use
Git in existing repos all right (have not noticed anything else
amiss), but the clone command fails like this:

----
cd /cygdrive/c/base
git clone foo bar
Cloning into 'bar'...
error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument
error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument
error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument
error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument
error: chmod on /cygdrive/c/base/bar/.git/config.lock failed: Invalid argument
fatal: 'origin' does not appear to be a git repository

and the repository exists.
----

Directory `bar` exists neither before nor after the attempted cloning.
In the parent directory, manually creating a subdirectory works as
expected:

  /cygdrive/c/base> mkdir bar; ls -ld bar; rmdir bar
  drwx------+ 1 username 123 0 Jan 27 13:13 bar

The issue is not restricted to local cloning, the same messages are
printed when I attempt to clone from a remote host (from which I
can clone just fine from a Linux client).

Searching the internet for "cygwin git error chmod on config.lock
failed: Invalid argument" gave not useful results.

I first noticed the issue after having upgraded to Cygwin 2.4.0-1.
Juding from the directory creation times in `base`,
it looks like the last successful clone happened on 2015-07-28.
I do not know which version of Cygwin I used at that time,
I update roughly once a month.

Today, I upgraded to 2.4.1-1, the issue persists.

I tried downgrading git from 2.7 to 2.6 via the installer.
The issue persisted, so I rolled forward again, the issue persisted.

How can I troubleshoot this further?

There might be a problem with the default ACL on the directory /cygdrive/c/base. What does 'getfacl /cygdrive/c/base' show?

Ken